Thursday 10 January 2019

Bumblebee

Transformers was a good movie, the rest were rubbish and changing to Mark Whalberg didn't make them any better.

So instead of making more movies they have decided to backtrack a little and explain how Bumblebee arrived on earth, without his ability to speak. What I will say now is that this movie completely destroys the timeline of the previous series made, starting with the movie staring Shia Le Bouf and Megan Fox.

Instead of picking a slightly sweaty, teenage boy who is out to impress a somewhat attractive young girl, they pick a young girl, portrayed by Hailee Steinfeld. My first issue with this character is that they have chosen the very typical, only child, parent died, other remarried and home sucks feel that so many movies have adopted poorly over the years. Given that Spielberg was involved with this movie I didn't expect to have so many criticisms of it as this is the first movie with his involvement that I think I have publicly criticised on this blog.

Hailee was good and her portrayal and character developed but the sort of, I am so hard done by because you wont buy me a car, attitude just sort of shows what a stuck up lifestyle she thinks she has. A lot of Kids who are turning 18 want their parents to buy them a drink or something smaller than a car, knowing that they didn't grow up with that kind of money. It just seemed a little unreal to me, as an adult viewer, looking back on what I wanted as a seventeen year old girl.
Image result for bumblebeeOnce we got past that point it got a bit better. There was nothing wrong with her performance but I felt that the script was very tailored towards children and that in doing so they were eliminating the older audience that so often enjoys these types of movies.

Great music choice and generally speaking good action to the movie but it is hard to see how they are going to develop it. Prime  is on earth which removes the older series and means that they now have to reboot the entire franchise. With man having witnessed one fight between the Autobots and Decepticons in an attempt to save Earth and humanity, what are they going to do in the next movie and how do they plan on working with that? The romance was unnecessary and didn't really flow with the rest of the movie.

I am sort of interested in seeing what they do next with it, simply because they have destroyed so much of what we already knew that I want to see how they dig themselves out of it. I am sure that Aquaman would have been a worse choice of movie to go and watch but I still felt like this one would have been challenging Aquaman as it was boring and a bit pathetic.

No comments:

Post a Comment