Thursday 19 February 2015

Funny Face

I couldn't help myself. Those that have been following this blog from the very start will know that I have a weakness for musicals, especially old ones with Fred Astaire. Having discovered a love for Audrey Hepburn in breakfast at Tiffany's to defeat my intolerance of her in my fair lady, funny face has come to reunite my love of dancing and Fred Astaire musicals with the love of Audrey Hepburn films.
I could spend forever going on about those two but instead my interest was stolen by the supporting women who is in charge of the fashion and she has a fabulous voice that is really strong. All the light has been shed on the duo of Astaire and Hepburn but it was the older woman that stole the show. Holding her own against Fred Astaire in a trio is one huge task but not only does she do it but she also manages to vocally dominate and displace Hepburn in their trio's. For singers out there reading this they will appreciate just how hard it is to match a male voice blow for blow in a vocal duet unless they are opera singers but here we have found one woman who is more than capable!
Nothing needs to be said about the choreography as even the sequences made to look bad actually require more skill than most people gain from their street dance lessons or even ballroom dancing lessons until you make it towards the big stages and dancing school.
The settings in Paris are absolutely beautiful. Churches and nature with the right lighting work wonders for the soul, making the audience calm and very relaxed.
There's a day for watching this film and it comes in August, on a sunny day, about 20 degrees with a bottle of red wine (my birthday).
There's a hilarious song sung by a young woman about how she stabbed her lover cos she hated him and then she decided that she loved him and now she is confused. I know that just reading it you could be thinking 'what has she been taking when she wrote this on the blog' but when you watch it you will understand why... I hope.
Watching this film has made me very happy.

I loved it all, including the book store scene and the marvelous line about finding somewhere boring and insane... A bookshop in Greenwich.

No comments:

Post a Comment