Sunday 2 November 2014

South Pacific

Rodgers and Hammerstein's is back with us to sparkle some light on how to really do musicals.
I know that i said Carousel didn't have any memorable music but every show writer has one bad production. Y'know- for Andrew Lloyd Webber it was the more recent stuff such as The Woman In White and Love Never Dies. For Gilbert and Sullivan it was Princes Ida.
South Pacific has some great songs and perfectly timed dance sequences. Unlike many other musicals of it's time, the sequences are short and not overdone.
The only thing that I am still trying to work out is why it has a slightly yellow feel to it. It's as if they used a yellow filter to film everything.
I will admit that South Pacific isn't as good as The Sound Of Music, but then again I don't think that they were ever going to out do that one. The King and I was great but too long, whereas the Sound of Music was the perfect length with great songs and a beautiful tour of Saltzberg. The music in South Pacific is good but not as good and the scenery is just a beautiful. I think that this is possibly on a par with the King and I but maybe (only slightly) just underneath it in terms of ranking.
Nevertheless, this has given me a very enjoyable Sunday morning and now that it has stopped raining, it can only get better!
Happy Sunday everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment