Monday 30 June 2014

Carousel

If you're getting excited and thinking that Esther has finally put up another post... she hasn't. It's just that i'm on her computer so this post will appear as Esther and not me.

I watched Carousel last week. Being a Rodgers and Hammerstein, it had to be on the list! I considered it an insult to my education if i hadn't seen the film and didn't know any of the music (despite the fact that I have an orchestral score in my room!)
I was kinda disappointed with it. I know that it's different to the sound of music, but the sound of music had so many great songs. I know from playing Tension that it had at least ten really good songs in it. Although the plot is interesting enough with Carousel, there were, for me no memorable songs. No songs that I walked around humming after i had finished watching the film. There was the odd blockbuster type song, but most of it was soloist aria type songs that although were beautiful, lacked the same feel as something like 16 going on 17.

Any musical fans? If you disagree feel free to post. It may be a film that you need to watch more than once. I remember the plot and I remember most of the film, so it's definitely not a bad film, it's just... lacking (In my opinion.) I know that it's dated and I know that the sound of music was the last one that they did but they could've done better with the music. Oklahoma (which is their first musical) has at least one blockbuster tune which is Oklahoma. The king and I has a lot of memorable tunes: Getting to know you and Shall we dance (1,2,3 and) are a few of them. (it's been a while since i watched it or performed it so the music isn't fresh in my mind). I haven't seen south pacific so can't comment on it. I just felt that they should've managed at least one really memorable tune in their musical.

Overall- a lovely film and a memorable film (but not the music!).

No comments:

Post a Comment