Sunday 16 July 2017

Gentlemen Prefer Bondes

Marilyn Monroe stars as though of us who are familiar with the film 'Moulin Rouge' start to understand the basis of Nicole Kidman's character and the importance of the song 'Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friend'.

My issue with this film is that is that Monroe is playing a very stupid character- probably bringing up the stereotype of 'Dumb Blonde'. This character plays so much on her looks that it irritates me a little, well, more than a little, enough to settle on a lot. Monroe is attractive, she always was. She can sing, she can dance and she can act so why she has starred in a film in which she plays a stupid and somewhat naive women is beyond my ability to comprehend. Monroe is an icon and the music, dancing, fashion, looks etc are there for a reason. She is the hype of this film and way the hype of the time but next to her stands a brunette who is intelligent, attractive, can sing and can also dance so who is this film about men- men at the time or a woman's idea of men at the time?

This film has humour and some ridiculous moments when I spent time staring at what i was seeing on the screen and actually asking myself if what she was doing was ever possible. The answer is that I don't know if you can fit through a window on a cruise ship but I get the feeling that the answer is probably no and that those windows are probably half the size of a size 2 women and really weren't designed for Marilyn Monroe to attempt to squeeze through. Monroe is a Grace Kelly, or rather- Grace Kelly was probably a Monroe. I see so much talent in them, so much passion and skill and I wonder where it all went wrong for them and the answer is in marriage choice (probably).

I loved the dancing and the outfits in this film but my favourite part of this film was when she told her future father in-law that she wasn't marrying his son because of his money, she was marrying her son because she wanted her future father in-law's money. It's nice to be truthful but there is a time and place for it and maybe admitting that you are a gold digger and only after the money before you have got your hands on it possibly isn't the best way to go but it did seem to work for her as she ended the film in a wedding dress and a diamond ring about to walk down the aisle.

Monroe films and a bottle of wine are the best combination for a Sunday evening and luckily for me I have at least another four Monroe films currently sitting on my desk which should see me comfortably through the summer.
Image result for gentlemen prefer blondes

No comments:

Post a Comment